Shae Johnston

Shae Johnston

Hello, everyone! My name is Shae Johnston, and I’m a senior majoring in Health Science with a minor in Public Health.

After attending a Health Science information session during my Preview experience, I knew that it was the right place for me. From the moment I entered UF, I immediately felt that the advisors and professionals of this program were on my team. The consistent communication and reliability of the BHS faculty allowed me to transition into this season of my life smoothly and confidently.

Health degrees are challenging, and I quickly realized how vital it is to find an outlet that reduces stress and encourages healthy habits and choices. Ultimately, cycle classes became my outlet. Cycle combines my love for music, fitness, and wellness. After a year as a class participant, I decided to pursue a personal training certification that would allow me to lead group cycle classes. My training reinforced concepts I was learning in my pre-health coursework, which excited me as a student. I am now very interested in anatomy and physiology, specifically in relation to exercise, and hope to pursue orthopedics in my career as a Physician Assistant. Overall, I feel that my communication skills, exercise knowledge, and confidence have grown a great deal through this experience.

My dream would be to own a low-cost spin studio whose main goal is to promote health and wellness in underserved populations. As a regular cycle participant, I have seen such positive results in my sleep patterns, energy levels, and mental health. Through increased access to a cycle studio, these benefits could be experienced by people of all socioeconomic backgrounds.

A strong community is also something that helped me immensely with my transition to college. As a matter of fact, I met my best friend at the Bachelor of Health Science information session at Preview!  We have visited each other’s hometowns, met each other’s families, and plan to live together after graduation!  It is so special knowing other students in my classes and forming bonds with so many interesting people. The College of Public Health and Health Professions is filled with familiar faces, which has provided me with a warm and comfortable learning environment.

I am so proud to be a part of a learning community that fosters personal and professional growth! The variety of coursework and dedicated staff have done an exceptional job in preparing me to enter the workplace. I cannot wait to apply what I have learned to my career as a Physician’s Assistant. I am eternally grateful to UF for the confidence and knowledge I have gained. Thank you, UF, and Go Gators!